Skip to main content

Staff on Loan

The Energy Charter Secretariat may welcome professionals from international organisations, governments, academic institutions/think tanks or the industry sector working with the Energy Charter Secretariat as Staff on Loan. During the loan period, the professional remains employed by his or her current employer, but works for the Energy Charter Secretariat to create and transfer knowledge and share and develop skills and expertise. 

These professionals may be welcomed at all stages of their careers. 

The term of assignment shall normally be six months to one year. It may be extended if justified by the specific needs of the Energy Charter Secretariat, and based on performance criteria. In any case, no assignment shall last longer than 24 months. When appropriate, engagement on a part-time basis is possible.

Assignment of an individual as Staff on Loan shall require an act of appointment by the Secretary General and the employer of the Staff on Loan. The act of appointment shall contain a written agreement on the terms and conditions governing the assignment. In this agreement, the employer shall provide assurance that any payments (salary, contributions to social security and insurance systems, etc.), required by national law will be continued by that body. 

Staff on loan shall act impartially and shall not seek or receive instructions from their employer, from any government or from any authority external to the Secretariat. The employer shall accept that in the written agreement concluded with the Energy Charter Secretariat.

During the course of the placement, all duties and obligations of Staff on Loan owed to the Energy Charter, however temporary and whether expressed or implied, shall take precedence over duties owned to external entities. Staff on Loan shall report any potential or perceived conflict of interest arising during the course of the placement to their supervisor. The Secretariat shall have sole discretion to solve any such conflict of interest as it deems appropriate, including termination of assignment. 

While the Secretariat can provide visa support, the responsibility for obtaining the necessary entry visa and/or residence permit, as well as insurance and travel/accommodation costs remain with the Staff on loan.

How to apply?

Applications should be sent to and are accepted on a rolling basis.